Sunday, December 29, 2013

Vertical delta-loop antenna


This month I would like to share an idea from my sketchpad with you. I am planning to build a vertical delta-loop antenna for 20 meters. The reasons for choosing this design:
  • My favourite HF band is 20m
  • Delta-loops for 20m are manageable in size
  • Loops are quiet on receive
  • Vertically polarized loops are well suited for DX
I found the delta-loop overview below at the website of W5SDC:

Delta-loop overview.

My choise of shape will be version D because if offers a low radiation angle, which is necessary for DX. The sketch below shows how I plan to build the antenna:

Delta-loop antenna for 20m.

A delta-loop antenna with ATU was described by WB8IMY and published in QST May 2002: One Stealthy Delta. This article is worth studying if you consider constructing a loop antenna.

OZ1BXM Lars Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment